Saturday, November 7, 2009

Whimsy Girls

Besides making jewelry, I've been doing some drawing and painting lately.  Here are two of my efforts:



I used acrylic and gouache paints along with some polka dot fabric for the red dress on canvas. These are my very first efforts; need more practice.  I have four nieces, one grown (24) and three ages 8, 10, and 13 who will figure in future projects. 

I'm also very intrigued with mixed media art - will be using some new and vintage fabric from my stash in my art.  Fabric is really my first love, especially vintage.  Whenever I go to thrift stores I peruse all the fabric including bedsheets, pillowcases, and bedspreads.  I also love to browse through Etsy for vintage fabric and have bought some wonderful fabric there.  If I had more time I will be designing and studying fabric and textiles.  I had an aunt who was talented in that area.  My father was also artistic; he was a talented sketcher and loved to draw.  Another aunt of mine told me he used to draw nude women from memory very well when he was younger, as she used to run across his sketches when she snooped in his room.  I often saw him doodling and sketching a lot when I was a kid.

All my life I dreamed of being an artist but always thought that I didn't have the time, it wasn't practical but as I have gotten older, I've realized that I need to be able to express myself, explore different facets of myself I did not know I had.  The internet, Etsy, blogging and Blogspot, etc., have opened wide my eyes, and artistic inspiration has been pouring out almost to the point where I feel overwhelmed.  I've always had a problem with focus.  I get easily distracted and want to try everything out there artistically.  So I have learned and still learning to try everything but one thing at a time.  Seems like an oxymoron, doesn't it?  All I know is that I have to be myself, a controlled scatterbrain, if there is one.  Well, enough of that. 

If you happen to come across this blog, please feel free to comment.  I love comments and feedback as I am constantly learning and do not view myself as an accomplished artist but a newbie trying to accomplish art and grow artistically.  Have a great rest of the weekend all.


4 comments :

  1. so very lovely .... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. your artwork is lovely! very fun and lighthearted- it definitely brings a smile :)

    best wishes with your etsy shop! and your artwork too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete